According to Modelski, Foreign policy is defined “as the systematic activities evolved by communities for the change of the behavior of other states and for adjusting their own activities to the environment.” The totality of Nigeria’s interaction within the international system is known as Nigeria’s Foreign Policy. The behavior of a country towards its external environment is best understood once her external goals are defined by some objectives which are;
- Promotion of the territorial integrity of Nigeria.
- Seeking for better economic condition for Nigerians and Africans.
- To enhance Africa unity and solidarity.
- Contribution to the maintenance of global peace and security.
- Protection the rights of all Black-men of the world.
BELOW ARE THE FACTORS THAT CONTROL NIGERIA FOREIGN POLICY.
- RULES TOWARDS AFRICAN STATES: Right from Independence till date, Africa is the centerpiece of Nigeria foreign policy. This means Nigeria will maintain brotherly relations and assistance with countries in Africa. It also means that Nigeria will direct her resources and energies to the advance of the continent. This is because Nigeria is much, where Africans are gathered, majority of them will be Nigerians. It therefore dependent on Nigeria to take care of everybody in the continent.
- POLICY FOR IMMEDIATE NEIGHBORHOOD: There are several countries sharing border with Nigeria such as republic of Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger. These countries, because of their closeness to the country, Nigeria holds them in high regard. This is because anything that happens to these countries (Good or Bad) will have a spread out effect on Nigeria. The pursuit of functional relations among them led to the formation of ECOWAS, Chad Basin commission, Niger River Commission. For the period 2014-2020, the European Neighborhood Policy has a budget of €15.4 billion. A tailored and flexible partnership two key principles of the European Neighborhood Policy are differentiation and ownership. This approach recognizes the different aspirations of the partner countries in developing their relations with the EU.
- COLD WAR ATMOSPHERE: The influence of the Cold War on global environments is the Third World. This is always attributed to the policy of non-alignment, the policy of not permanently staying with any of the super-powers. Most countries were at dilemma state as to which country to follow the statement was made by Alhaji (SIR) . ABUBAKAR TAFAWA BALEWA in the House of Representatives 0n 20th Aug, 1960. He cleared the air by saying “ we shall not blindly follow the lead of anyone.
- GLOBAL ISSUES AND EVENTS: Since has been Nigeria is committed to the maintenance of global peace and security. There has been demonstration by her involvement in peace keeping mission especially in the troubled areas. In support with the United Nations, Nigeria was among the country that joined in restoring peace to these countries; Sudan, Liberia, Somalia, Sierra-leome etc. Nigeria has also promote global health and eradication of deadly diseases, such as HIV/AIDs, Ebola, Polio, Lasa fever. Nigeria is not behind. Climate change and sustainability, to averting conflict within and between nations, to confronting the systemic forces that create unequal societies.